Thursday, December 20, 2007

Cowboys and Indians

Throw in an illegal Mexican and a couple of bad guys from California and you've got Robert James Waller's ("Bridges of Madison County" fame) latest book, "The Long Night of Winchell Dear." It's a classic tale of greed, corruption and long-lost dreams. A master poker player in his day, Winchell Dear is settling into his ranch house for a long, sleepless night. Over the ridge, a lonely American Indian lives in a cave, dreaming of things as they once were, before law and progress changed the land. In an adobe house behind Winchell's cabin, a Mexican woman harbors an illegal visitor as she dreams of a future far away from the Texas ranch. All three lives will be interrupted when a man and his partner, after a long trek across the desert highway, show up on the ranch just before dawn, expecting to find everyone asleep. I wasn't sure if I'd like the book since I've read other's of his that weren't as good as the original. This turned out to be a very good read.

My long trek was yesterday when I drove from home through town to the otherside where our Border's bookstore is located. What a nightmare trip! Bumper to bumper and then the search for a parking spot just to find my last purchases for the big holiday. Shopping carts are needed in that store so your arms don't stretch to ape like proportions while you're shopping and holding all your potential purchases. That's bad enough, but then you have to stand in a very long checkout line and even though it moves pretty quick, it's still seems like forever when your arms are being pulled from their sockets. I knew I wouldn't get out of there without finding a couple of "must haves" for myself. My shopping is officially done except for some food items that are still needed. I did get some with a not so quick jaunt over to the local Sam's Club. At least the lines there weren't so long and they provide the shopping cart that I so needed for my last endeavor. Then it was home again through even worse traffic since it was now rush hour. I even managed to wrap a few items and with a little luck will finish that chore today (if the US Post Office and UPS manage to get everything else delivered).

No comments: