Sunday, December 23, 2007

It was the night before the night before Christmas

I hit the grocery store one more time today. Surprisingly it was not as hectic as I thought it would be. The aisles were crowded but the check out lines were small. I took a list and still managed to forget a couple of key items so those things have fallen off the Christmas menu. The tally at the check out counter was mind boggling especially since I'd already bought a lot of stuff. If the prices keep going up it will be gifts or food for the holiday but not both. Once again it's warmed up outside and I can't use the "cold" garage for food storage. I'm going to have to get a used refrigerator to keep in the basement for holidays. Can't count on Mother Nature anymore.

It's a time to reflect on past holidays and those of the family that aren't with us any longer. Even though the crowd seems to be the same size there are new additions that have replaced the lost loved ones. Sixteen years since Mom is gone and this will be the 2nd Christmas without Dad. Even though they could drive you crazy they'll be missed. The missing family members are a disappointment for us, also. My brother sitting alone in Florida and the two children and daughter-in-law that won't be here. They leave holes in our hearts!

Have a glorious Christmas and treasure those memories!

I finished the Steve Berry book "The Venetial Betrayal" tonight. A bout of insomnia has kept me from getting to sleep so what better way to spend those restless hours than by reading. I've read a few of his books and to me they are similar to the style of Dan Brown ("DiVinci Code") only Berry keeps the same characters running through his novels. You get intrigue, murder, history, and suspense enough to keep you interested. I've got another of his books waiting so I think I'll start that tonight until sleep finally takes over.

No comments: