Saturday, May 3, 2008

The Price of Salt

This is a novel from 1952 by Patricia Highsmith. The topic was probably very controversial in it's day. A young woman searching for her sexuality. She's living in New York City and trying to get a job working on set designs. She's been dating a young artist but while working a temporary job at a department store, she is captivated by a beautiful 30 something woman. She sends her a card and from that their friendship grows. It's on a trip across country that their fate is sealed. I'm trying to imagine what life would have been like under those circumstances in that time. A very interesting read.

I've found my niche............I've always been a doodler of daisies and now I've discovered that I can paint them so I'll be doing still lifes of pitchers of daisies or maybe vases of daisies. Wonder how many colors of daisies I can do!

This month is worse than July when I have my own birthday. This is the month when my children turn ?? and ??! God, where did those years go? I could try to pretend I wasn't my age if I didn't have kids reminding me constantly of their age.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for not publically announcing my very old age!

Geoff said...

You can announce my age. I love it. It's the last time the first digit can be tripled and fit into the second digit. Woohoo!

fernie said...

OK, my daughter will continue to be ?? and my son is a whole lot older at the age of 39. Wait, I mean 29!