Saturday, August 23, 2008

"The Night Villa"

This novel by Carol Goodman was a spur of the moment choice when I was buying my birthday books. It ended up being a good choice. My history lesson in the novel is about the eruption of Italy's Mount Vesuvius in A.D. 79 which buried a city and its people. Current day setting started with a shooting at the University of Texas campus and the main character, Sophie Chase. She's a professor of classics. After her recovery she heads for the Isle of Capri to immerse herself in her latest scholarly project alongside her colleagues, her star pupil, and their benefactor. Under layers of volcanic ash lies the Villa della Notte (the night villa) which is home to first-century nobles, as well as to the captivating slave girl at the heart of an ancient controversy. In the subterranean areas are some antique documents believed lost to the ages. New technology allows these scrolls to be read even with their age and damage. A story within a story. I pretty much figured out "the who dunit" part but it was still a good read.

Already started another Elizabeth Berg. I'm running out of her novels and I'll be so sad when I do.

No comments: