Saturday, August 30, 2008

Painting

I was feeling a little confidence with my oil painting ability until two days ago. I had done a stained glass rooster for a friend of mine in Michigan a few years ago and she had it framed in barn siding and hung in her kitchen window. I thought I'd do a painting of a rooster and send it to her. Her birthday was two weeks ago and I had sent it off with another small gift. The painting was framed in barn siding. I wouldn't have sent it but my hubby said it was great so off it went. I waited and waited for some comment from her and finally it came in an email. She thanked me for "remembering" her birthday. No comment about the painting at all. WOW! Not even a lie! Talk about having the rug pulled out from under you. Now I'm upset that I sent it and wasted it on her. She did comment by asking me if I was going to take other classes. A double stab in the back! Well, it's cookies and candy for her from now on.

A holiday weekend again! Thank God there's tennis on television to entertain me. I'm reading Sharyn McCrumb's "Once Around the Track" which is okay but since I'm not a NASCAR fan it's rather slow and boring for me. I know being from south central PA that I should be a fan but I can't get into it. I'll struggle through the book and consider it an "okay" story. At least hubby is off tomorrow which gives us some time over the holiday together. I guess from now on we'll both have our weekends tied up and it won't matter that the world is busy around us.

Our new neighbors just knocked on our door! I'm stunned! They just moved in. The former neighbor never came by until last year when he wanted free wood off of our lot. These people moved here from Pittsburgh and it looks like they're retired. He wants to hunt on our property which I don't think we'll be too excited about. They did invite us over and gave us their phone number. I was in my jammies so I didn't even allow them in the door. I felt bad but I'm not used to someone coming by like that. I could run into my other neighbors in the grocery store and not even know who they are. We all keep to ourselves around here. I did meet one neighbor years ago when she lost her little boy and needed help finding him. He'd strayed into the woods with his dog and I found him wandering not far from here. He was only three. They moved away about 4 years ago and now there's a new house on that lot and those people moved in a year or so ago. Haven't met them.

No comments: