Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Risen from the dead

Richard Bachman is really Stephen King and he disappeared ages ago when it was discovered. A new/old book was released by King under the Bachman name. He wrote it back in the 70's and didn't publish it. Apparently it got put in a box and was pulled out from time to time without success. Recently he decided to update it and let it be published. Titled "Blaze" this book is about a character nicknamed Blaze who when he was young he was a very good student who was always reading and excelled in school. His drunken father regularly beat him and one night he decided to throw him down the apartment stairs three times. After the kid suffered permanent brain damage (including a permanent dent in his forehead) the father was shipped off to prison. The kid went to the state and suffered through several attempts of unsuccessful fostering. He was taken under the wing of a shady character named George and the two started a partnership in crime. George was killed in a poker game gone bad and his scheme to kidnap a baby of a local wealthy couple was left to Blaze. When you're considered to be mentally challenged and you attempt a kidnapping then it's a roadmap to disaster. I really enjoyed this book and was glad to see the old Stephen King in it. Not a scary book!

Spent my birthday gift from hubby with a trip to Borders where I got to stock up on a few new books. I had a birthday coupon from Borders, a 40 percent coupon, and a $5.00 reward coupon. I ended up with over $40+ in discounts. One again I went without my list of books that I've read and ended up buying two that I already had. I'll be making a return trip in a week or so to buy the new John Saul book and taking those others back. Unfortunately my list is so large that it's difficult to haul it around. It keeps changing every few days, also. It's like trying to remember the reusable shopping bags when I go to the grocery store. I remember them when I'm in the checkout counter. The list is always in the car when I'm in the bookstore.

No comments: