Friday, October 31, 2008

Running out of Berg

I'm down to my last two Elizabeth Berg novels. Her new one isn't due out till Spring of next year. "Durable Goods" is the first of three novels about Katie, a young girl on the cusp of womanhood. I've read and reviewed the other two and finally found the first one. It was good to have the information held within this first novel and now the puzzle pieces all fit together. Katie is an Army brat and her Mother has died of cancer leaving her with her 18 year old sister and her abusive Army Father. Time frame is the early 60's in Texas. It's hard to make friends when you move as often as they do. She's been waiting for the events her body needs to go through to make her a woman and she finally wakes to the big day. It's almost the end of the school year when her father announces another move and this time to Missouri. Her older sister refuses to leave and disappears in the night with her boy friend. Now she's alone with just her father and headed for a new life in a new state. I'm sad to have to say goodbye to Katie's life. Having grown up in that time frame so much of what she experienced were things that I did too.

Another year without trick or treaters. This makes about 22 years. It's kind of sad to not see those little faces in their scary little costumes. We live rather remote and there aren't any little ones in the area. I was going to wear my witch's hat to work today but couldn't find it. I'd like to have the power to put a curse on at least one member of management. She smacked me across the back the other night to get my attention instead of using my name and calling to me. Something like that is totally unacceptable and I could have probably gotten her fired. Of course I would have had to have the witnesses admit that they saw it happen but they are other employees that probably don't want to rock the boat. When I told Hubby about it he was so furious I thought he was going to burst a vessel. He was demanding I quit but that wouldn't be smart right now. I'll just stay as far away from her as possible and hope that we don't have another incident.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

We had more tricker treaters last night than we've had in our adult lives--about 25 or so. The little kids are so cute!

When managers smack you let the air out of their tires.

fernie said...

Dad was thinking more like setting her car on fire!