Tuesday, October 13, 2009

A little book from Salem, MA




I picked up Katherine Howe's book "The Physick Book of Deliverance Dane" in Salem, MA when we were on vacation. It looked interesting and it was. A grad student looking for a topic for her dissertation finds a link to a previously unmentioned "witch" who was executed in the Salem witch hunts in Salem, MA and she's drawn into a search to find the missing "receipt" book that was the witch's (and her predecessors) journal, almanac, recipe book. Were they really witches or were they just women with special abilities? They had strong religious beliefs and were just helping their fellow man through illness and childbirth. Very enjoyable.

I have gone from working almost a regular schedule of 35-40 hours a week to a mere 12. OUCH! If I would have known this was going to happen I would have not gone on vacation and saved money. This is terrible! I've gotten training in several other departments and still can't manage to pick up extra hours. I think the scheduler is playing games with me. She knows I want her job and she's making me suffer for it. Apparently good reviews and employee loyalty are not rewarded.

No comments: