Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A much needed day off

After a full week last week I'm grateful for a day off. Hubby has a doctor appointment early today and then we have a rare day together. We should hit the stores and try to make a dent in the Christmas shopping. I've asked for suggestions for gifts and gotten only one reply that was reasonable. I haven't even put up the tree yet and have, once again, no desire to do it. I'm sure I will but there's no rush since no one is expected until my stepson and his wife arrive on the 22nd. I'm not sure what they are expecting from us. We have our Christmas celebration on Christmas afternoon/evening and their arrival before Christmas is throwing a monkey wrench into the plans. I can't imagine having two get togethers. I guess he will have a "thing" at his mother's house where his siblings will be invited but then to see his step siblings he will have to make other arrangements. I can invite my daughter over since she lives nearby but to have everyone here would take away from the actual day. Oh the complications that have arisen. We were so spoiled by having all our chickens close by and now that's ruined. The stepson will be leaving on a plane at 6 am on Christmas morning to get to the airport to make the journey to his in-laws where they will spend Christmas this year. They are alternating the holidays between the families and that is so hard to do. My stepdaughter has informed us that she and her family will be in Florida at her in-laws this year. The older stepdaughther will be working and the remaining stepson is not being very social. Looks like our family meal will fit around one table this year.

Trying to work my way through the latest Dean Koontz novel. Very good but haven't gotten to the point where it all comes together to make sense. Like 20 different stories waiting in the wings.

Had a lovely snow fall a few days ago. Dropped an unexpected 7 inches on us but fortunately not on the roads. Didn't stick there until later in the day and by then we were pretty much home. Just a little slussy. Next morning it was a little slippy driving to work. Hearing we might get another snow later tonight. Snow usually helps put me in the spirit of the holiday but not so much yet.

No comments: