Thursday, November 4, 2010

Adventure

I ordered Jeannette Walls'"Half Broke Horses" through Kindle. I borrowed it from my husband today and managed to read the entire novel. Wonderful read! No matter how much I loved my Grandmother, it would have been great to have one like the woman in this novel so that I would have had someone like her to write about. What a great character! Lily was born in the west in 1901 and from there she couldn't be stopped. She broke horses, ran the ranch by hiring the help and kept the family in line. She was sent to boarding school for her education but her father lost her tuition with a bad investment and she went home before she could complete eight grade. During WWII she qualified to teach since there was a teacher shortage so off she went on her horse at age 15 to make her own way. Determined to get her education she eventually ended up in Chicago where her life took a different turn. Back to the southwest and more ranching. She even managed to fit some flying lessons into her life. I don't know what I'll do if I have to give up my current job. I'm really enjoying my extra reading time.

No comments: