Friday, December 10, 2010

Blah

Finished the Patricia Cornwell's "Port Mortuary." It was about 500 pages and the last 250 were a fairly good read. Thought I would die of boredom and confusion through the first half of the book. I thought with her last book that she had gotten herself back on track with her characters and this book showed promise since she was back to writing in the first person again. Wrong! I was so confused. She opened with her being at Dover AFB and being a Colonel in the Air Force. In all my reading of her novels, I've never once remember her mentioning that she's in the reserves and that she'd served. If you weren't familiar with her characters you would have thrown the book down after the first couple of chapters. No explanation as to what was going on and why. First half was just conversation between Scarpetta and her niece and then Scarpetta and her husband. 250 pages of dialog that left me so bewildered! It finally picked up and was okay for the rest of the book but it still could have been so much better. Come on Patricia! Get with it! We know you can do better.

No comments: