Wednesday, January 19, 2011

#11

Thanks once again to free books on Kindle, I had an enjoyable read. Oliver Potzsch's "The Hangman's Daughter" was set in the 1659 time frame and there was murder, witchcraft, and adventure. It was interesting to find out it was based on the author's family who were hangmen for generations. To be a hangman was to be a pariah in the village but a necessity. He took care of tortures, hangings, beheadings, and burnings. His family was also considered outcasts. He made a good living and on the side he was somewhat of a healer. When children in the village are found murdered and they have a witch's mark on their shoulders, then he's called in to torture the local mid-wife as the witch. He has a soft spot for her since she's delivered his children and most of the other children in town so he's determined to find out who is really behind these deaths. Very interesting!

I thought I was beyond buying books I already read but for some reason, and I can't remember at who's suggestion, I repurchased Charles Pallister's "The Quincunx". I now have two copies and hate to return it, since it was from a book seller on Amazon. You'd think I'd remember a title like that but I didn't. I'm pretty sure I read it in 1989. Should be getting a bunch of books soon from Borders. Had to use my gift card from Christmas before they go bankrupt.

My extra reading days will be ending soon. Will be leaving this current job in a couple of weeks and it will be back to reality.

No comments: