Friday, January 14, 2011

#8 Barely

Does a book consisting of 76 pages really qualify as a book? Sure seems like short story status to me. Annie Dillard's "Holy the Firm" was such a book. Anything you can read in an hour or so is suspect in my mind. In 1975 Annie Dillard took up residence on an island in Puget Sound, in a wooden room furnished with "one enormous window, one cat, one spider and one person." For the next two years she asked herself questions about time, reality, sacrifice, death, and the will of God. She writes about a moth consumed in a candle flame, about a seven-year old girl burned in an airplance accident, about a baptism on a cold beach.

I think I've discovered why the world is now crazy! Don't mess with our astrology! I've been a Leo for my whole life and now I'm a Cancer. Please, I don't fit any of the description of a Cancer. Idiotic!!!! I don't care what they say; I'm staying a Leo.

No comments: