Tuesday, July 26, 2011

#57

I've always enjoyed Anne Rivers Siddon's novels but "Burnt Mountain" has left me somewhat in limbo. The novel starts with Crystal, growing up to want all the prestige her small town father couldn't give her as a pharmacist's daughter. She meets and marries a son of wealth but his mother doesn't like her and she's stuck in a beautiful house they give her in the same town she grew up in. She raises two daughters; one in her own image and one the image of her wealthy grandmother. Suddenly the story is about Thayer, the youngest daughter and her life. She grows up in the same town and tragedy strikes first with the death of her father and grandfather in a car accident and then later with a trip to a doctor who ruins her life. Just can't get my head around the ending.

It's my birthday and I'm here doing what I love to do. Hanging out on my sofa, in pj's, reading. My first choice would have been to be on the boat on a lake in Canada with a book and a fishing pole surrounded by my family but that's not happening. Time for another book instead.

No comments: