Thursday, August 4, 2011

#60

I hit the motherload of books. While in NYC we went to the Strand bookstore and they advertise 18 miles of books. WOW! It was great! I tried to control myself and only purchased 7 and had them shipped. Two days ago we went to the Borders Going Out of Business Sale (Hubby wanted to find some books) and I got about 10 books there. I'm set for a little while. Really, I'm set for a year or more with all that I have stashed away.

I just finished "Two Rivers" by T. Greenwood which was another freebie from Kindle. This was a excellent read. Started back in the 50's with a young boy and girl becoming best friends and their life growing up. She loses her mother to suicide after spending 5 years in a mental institution. His father is an inventor and always working on something in his basement workshop. His mother becomes an activist during the race riots in the 60's. She goes off to spend a summer in the south and ends up spending two years until she comes home after being badly beaten in a riot. What she doesn't bring home is a secret that remains hidden for many years. It's the Vietnam War and the young couple are trying to figure out how to keep him from being drafted into a war they don't believe in. Twelve years into the future he's now a man of 34 and he's carrying the burden of them all.

We decided to head to the Eastern Shore for a couple days and we ended up in Lewes, Delaware. It was a nice little town but the people in the restaurants were really nasty. You'd think that you'd get better customer service in resort communities. We were going to stay an additional day but Hubby decided to come home today. I had to twist his arm to at least let us stick our toes in the ocean while we were there. It was a pretty miserable day for it with over cast skies and drizzle but we did it and that was good. One more day off before I have to head back to work. I'm very sad about that.

No comments: