Saturday, October 27, 2007

Day 2

I finished the book "The Art of Mending" by Elizabeth Berg. Once again she did not disappoint me. So many authors can't stay consistant but so far this one has. I like that fact that so many of her characters are in their 50's during the storyline. I can so relate to so many things. I'm going to have to search for more of her books. This story covered the inconsistencies of a parent in the way she raises her children. The older two were treated differently than the younger and they never knew what the younger one went through until that child (now a grown woman) starts therapy and as part of her healing she has to disclose the truth about their mother. The revelations of what happened to her were doubted by her older siblings since they had never seen that treatment. The Mother had a psychological reason for what she did as far as she was concerned.

I attended my grandson's early morning football game. It rained buckets on those poor 10 year olds and what troupers they were. Unfortunately he didn't win and they were so close to the finals next weekend. Not being a big fan of football is difficult when you have one so young and enthused about the sport. Poor kid is probably still soaking the mud off of his puddle saturated body!

I've been researching family trees online to find missing connections to what I have. This search was for my children who are a product of my first marriage. There was a lot of information for me to add but I've run in to a dead end on some major points. I actually matched an ancestor from my "ex" to an ancestor on my side all the way back in Europe in the early 1700's. I don't think 20 generations will make us start counting toes and worry about IQ issues. My trip to Lancaster was postponed from Monday to Tuesday since a quick check online provided the information that the Lancaster Mennonite Historic Society is closed on Mondays. I was all ready for the trip. I've added almost 5000 names to my tree. There's so much more to find! All the books I ordered on family history came in today and so far all they've done is list names that came over by ship during the 1700's. I know which ship my ancestor came on but it's so confusing since they spelled the name how they heard it and it's not what it was. Makes me worry how many other names are being missed for the same reason. There were just too many first names that are the same: Christian, Hans, Jacob, Michael and Martin. You'd think those were the only names out there.

No comments: