Friday, January 11, 2008

Another day; another book

I took too many naps yesterday and wasn't sleepy when I needed to be. I decided against taking anymore drugs so I finished reading John Hart's "Down River." It was a very good read. Kind of a Scott Turow and John Grisham mix. The main character returned home to the south after leaving 5 years before. He had been acquitted of a murder that his step mother had been the key witness against him. His best friend had called him and asked him to come and though he had refused at first, he then made the decision to go back. He had totally cut himself off from everyone. The town hadn't forgiven him for what they believed about the murder and his friend was missing. The police were interested in him and they hadn't forgotten either that he'd walked away from what they believed had been a cut and dried case. Bad things began happening from the very beginning of his return and he always seemed to be front and center. His family's land was situated on a river and was a key location for a nuclear power plant that some of the locals wanted and some didn't. The land values went sky rocketing and his father was a hold out for not selling even though many others wanted the deal to go through for their own financial benefit. Several murders took place and a suspicious beating before everything finally fell into place. I definitely will be looking for more books by this author.

Still waiting for the MRI results. Called the doctor's office and they were all too busy to look it up for me so I'm sitting here waiting as patiently as I can. I'm also patiently waiting for the problems to go away for the settlement that hasn't taken place. Now the mortgage company says the property is in a flood zone and though it does have a stream bordering the property the stream would have to rise about 20 feet to get to the basement of the house. It's all silly politics. Now it will cost a fortune to get a special survey done or a miracle to get the mortgage company to remove the requirement from the mortgage commitment. Having to pay flood insurance will make the property too expensive for the Buyers. Technically we're out of contract and it's up to the Sellers whether they will continue to be patient while these issues are worked out. So far, I'm not liking what 2008 has brought to my door step.

The next book is Anne Tyler's "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant." I've always enjoyed her books. She's from the Baltimore area so her books are usually based in the area and the locations seem pretty familiar even to someone who doesn't spend a whole lot of time in Baltimore. I did live there for a short time and I have a son and step daughter currently living there so we do get back to the city on occasion.

No comments: