Saturday, January 12, 2008

Baby, it's cold inside

Woke up to find that we had run out of heating oil and the temperature had already dropped to 60 degrees. I called the oil company and had the assurance that someone would come out with 10 gallons of fuel and prime the furnace for us. Four hours later, after I had become a human Popsicle, a young kid that didn't look old enough to drive, showed up to take care of things. He put 5 gallons of fuel in and said that a truck would be by later. I told him that's not what the office guy had said and he called to verify if I was telling the truth or not. He put in another 5 gallons and left. Since their policy is free service if they let you run out of fuel they have to do that but he was trying to get away cheaper than the promise. I think it was to be more like 20 gallons but I'd have to go searching through a ton of paperwork to find out for sure.

I've been watching the dustbunnies grow under the buffet in the breakfast nook. They looked a little drab so I added a few bows to perk them up and make them look better. We've become attached so there's no way I'm cleaning them up and throwing them out.

I managed, because of another sleepless night, to finish Anne Tyler's "Dinner at the Homesick Restaurant." She's such a great story teller. It's all about a dysfunctional family that's father was a traveling salesman and finally after years of hardly being home, he decided to just abandon the wife and three young children and head off. The mother raised the kids the best she could even though her skills had a lot to be desired. In turn, each child grew to be either a dysfunctional parent themselves or didn't marry at all. I've found this myself in my own family. Even though you're raised by the same people you have totally different outlooks on what the parent was really like. A wonderful story as all of Anne Tyler's books have been.

No comments: