Thursday, January 3, 2008

Elizabeth Berg, again!

I picked up a copy of an older novel by Elizabeth Berg entitled "Range of Motion" and as I was reading it I felt I had just read something very similar. Since her book was written in 1995 and the similar novel was written in 2007 than I was suspicious of the most current author. Nicholas Sparks' "The Choice" is too much like this novel to my liking. Yes, the sex of the characters was reversed but otherwise it was very much the same story line. Instead of Sparks' female character lying in a nursing home in a car accident induced coma, Berg's male character ended up in a nursing home in a coma from a chunk of ice hitting him on the head. The spouses of both coma victims did the exact same things to try to bring their spouses out of the deep sleep. I really like both authors. I felt this once before when I read Jodi Picoult's "My Sister's Keeper" and then sometime later was watching an episode of CSI and other than a switch in sexes, the story was basically the same. It will be interesting when the movie of "My Sister's Keeper" comes out and whether they follow the book as well as the CSI show did.

Still not sure when I'll have my settlement. The Buyer is hanging in Michigan and I guess everyone is hoping for a Power of Attorney to miraculously appear. I don't have that much faith in Fed Ex and their overnight deliveries. I can't totally wrap up with other company until I get this out of the way.

No comments: