Saturday, February 9, 2008

Well worth the read

I finished Stephen King early this morning. The pain in the "neck/shoulder" got me awake very early and I had to resort to more than Tylenol to ease it. I must admit that until about 3/4 of the way through the book it wasn't too bizarre. The last part was really freaky and so typical of his writing. Definitely brought back the days of his novels of the 80's and early 90's. The character is Edgar and he's suffered a horrible accident on a job site of his construction company. His truck is crushed by a crane and he's trapped inside with severe head injuries, broken ribs, crushed arm and hip. He loses the arm but survives with much therapy. He's thinking and memory are affected, also he has trouble controlling his anger, but it's hoped in time that all this will improve. His business is very successful and there's plenty of money to take the time off he needs. Unfortunately his wife is afraid of the new him and she divorces him. It's recommended by his psychiatrist that he take a year and go off to a different location and life and try something he might enjoy. He dabbled in cartooning as a kid and thought he'd give sketching and painting a try. He rents a house on the Gulf in the Keys in Florida and that's where his new life begins. Rehabilitation is difficult but he struggles through. His art work is a "hit." Is the island the reason? Is there something there that is taking control? Does his elderly neighbor have something to do with it? Definitely worth reading this one!

Might have to hold off on getting my James Patterson for a few days until I'm feeling better. I do have other books to read. I'll just need to pick something that won't take too long so I can be ready when I get the new one.

No comments: