Saturday, February 2, 2008

Wonderful Story

I quickly finished Elizabeth Berg's "Dream When You're Feeling Blue." A story of a large family set in Chicago during WWII. It was about their lives while the war was going on and what they did while their loved ones were away in Europe or the Pacific. About their sacrifices for the war effort and the job the oldest daughter took in the factory to feel she was doing her part in some way. How the sisters spent their evenings at the servicemen's club helping keep up the morale of the soldiers passing through or simply writing to many of them while they did their duty for their country. Also, what those years did to change their lives and make them so very different. Hated to see the book end. Beautifully written as all Elizabeth Berg's novels are.

I haven't read Stephen King novels in quite a few years. He was hurt in an accident back in 1999 and after that I just couldn't enjoy his books any longer. His writing seemed to suffer just like he did. I started two of the books he wrote back then and just couldn't finish them. I saw an interview this morning on the TODAY Show and I understand his latest one is getting rave reviews. Compared it to his novel, "It", from 20 years ago, which I loved. I might have to give Stephen another chance. He promised to scare the reader especially if it's read late at night. I'm not rushing out to buy it but if I see it along the way I'll give it a try. I have plenty of books stockpiled now to see me through a few months. Not to mention the ones that are coming out soon that I'll just have to have.

No comments: