Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Insomnia again........

Another night of waking after an hour of sleep. This time I took some Tylenol PM to get back to sleep and then I couldn't wake up. I'm still in a fog in late afternoon. I need to perk up since Hubby and I have our first beginners oil painting class tonight. I'm shooting for becoming an abstract artist since with the hand tremor I can't see me doing too many fine details at this point. We've talked of taking this kind of class for 30 years and finally got around to doing it. Like the weaving class we've always wanted to take. We did the stained glass thing years ago but I'm the only one still involved in it and recently I haven't been able to do it. Still hoping to do those arched windows for my dining room and guest room. Now that I have the go ahead from the doctor I can maybe get back to trying to get them done. I've already changed my mind on the design I wanted to do.

I did start a new book which I'm really enjoying. It was recommended by a woman I work with. It's fiction but based on an actual historical event that took place in 1854 at a peace conference at Fort Laramie. A prominent Northern Cheyenne chief requested of the U.S. Army authorities the gift of one thousand white women as brides for his young warriors. Because theirs is a matrilineal society in which all children born belong to their mother's tribe, this seemed to the Cheyennes to be the perfect means of assimilation into the white man's world. Needless to say, the Cheyennes' request was not well received by the white authorities and the peace conference collapsed. The Cheyennes went home without their brides. The author, Jim Fergus, took this tidbit and with historic background created a novel entitled "One Thousand White Women: The Journal of May Dodd" in which if the Cheyennes had gotten their wish would have happened in the eyes of one of the first women to take the journey. If you were locked in an asylum or prison and given the choice to be sent into the wild west as a bride of a Cheyenne or stay where you are for years or even a lifetime then it isn't inconceivable that this could have taken place. They were free to leave once they had a child or after two years.

No comments: