Monday, September 8, 2008

Last days of freedom

My last two days before heading off to the new job. Had to fit some doctor and dentist appointments in this week. Figure I need to get all that out of the way if I'm going to work this wacky schedule that they've put me on. Also finished Sara Gruen's "Riding Lesson." I'm not a horse person but I did enjoy this book. Annemarie has been groomed to be an Olympic Equestrian rider when the worst possible thing happens. Her horse falls and she's badly hurt. The horse had to be put down and she spent the next 15 months in the hospital wondering if she'd ever walk again. Fast forward 20 years and she's headed back home after a failed marriage with her rebellious daughter in tow. She discovers her ailing father is in the final stages of ALS and can no longer work the horse training facility that they run. Her mother is busy with the father's needs and Annemarie takes over the running of the stables. She discovers a horse that is identical to her horse that was put down so many years ago and he's rare. A brindle which is something most people never see. Here's another and she's fascinated by him. Since he's been rescues from a "kill pen" she takes it upon herself to get him back in shape. Through investigation she discovers his real background and that leads to a whole different situation. Her obsession with this horse is causing her to lose focus on the stables and the management of everything involved. A very good read and I've discovered there is a sequel which now I'll have to find and read also.

No comments: