Sunday, October 12, 2008

Berg Lover

I picked up another Elizabeth Berg and I think this is one of my favorites so far. I'll say it again.....she's the best! "Never Change" was written in early 2000 and the character (Myra) is a well trained nurse who used to work in the ER and is now in her 50's doing home visitations. Never married and never dated much. She never had close friends but classmates would go to her for advise. She always remained aloof because she didn't think she was wanted. Her clientele vary from drug users to the elite in the community. She gets a call to add another patient to her clientele list and its a former high school classmate. He is dying of a brain tumor and refuses all treatment. He knows time is limited and that there is no hope for a cure just an extension of time through chemicals and suffering and he's not having that. He's thrilled to have Myra as his nurse and through his struggles she is changed. Couldn't put the book down! Even read it on our road trip to a special aunt's 75 birthday party. I think there are a few Berg novels I haven't tracked down yet but I'm on a quest. Of course, what will I do when I've read them all. She was threatening retirement!

I can't believe that it's time to be planning the holidays already. I think we're having a small gathering at Thanksgiving. We know the Hawaii gang won't be here and I haven't heard from some of the Maryland gang. Might just be a dining room group around one table.

No comments: