Thursday, October 23, 2008

"The Dark River"

A novel by John Twelve Hawks. This is his second novel that I've read and even though I'm not into fantasy fiction (other than Harry Potter) it has been an interesting read. It was a little difficult to remember the first book but after a few pages it didn't really matter since everything was pretty much explained again. I know there will be another since the ending left me totally hanging along with two of the main characters. It is a dangerous world inspired by the modern technology that monitors our lives. Under constant surveillance by the "Vast Machine," a computer network run by a group known as the Brethren, society is mostly unaware of its own imprisonment. Gabriel and Michael Corrigan, brothers who were raised "off the Grid," have recently learned they are Travelers like their missing father. They are part of a centuries old line of prophets able to journey to different realms of consciousness and enlighten the world to resist being controlled. Michael joins the enemy and Gabriel takes on the responsibility. The Travelers are protected by Harlequins who remain emotionally detached from their Traveler but defend them to their death. It was a good read and something different to enjoy.

Making myself known in the real estate world today. Taking my office duty and listening to the sound of silence from the phones that in a perfect world would be ringing off the hook. So far I've had one computer generated call which I got to hang up on. I finished my book too early and now I have to find something to occupy my time for another hour and a half before I can close everything down and head for home. Maybe I can find an online game to play to keep me occupied.

No comments: