Wednesday, October 22, 2008

A wonderful day in the neighborhood

Well the Christmas decorations have hit the store. All the little elves are busy putting up the phony trees and the inflatable yard decorations. I'm humming along to the tunes now but by next week I'll be prying the batteries out of the boxes to shut them up. I'm looking at one of those phony trees to buy for our house. Learned my lesson last year and unless I get a live tree that isn't more than two feet high then it's artificial for me. I'll put a bowl of pinesol under the tree and no one will be the wiser.

I was all alone the whole afternoon yesterday. The early shift girl went to a meeting and the backup went home sick. I was to have my lunch break between 2 and 3 and when my partner returned at 2:30, I mentioned that I was late taking my lunch. She was leaving at 3 so I was informed I would have to take a half hour. Ohhhhhhhhhhh! the Nazi management don't like that! They question each and every minute that you have different then what they assign you. To top it off, the scheduler had me leaving at 6 and the night girl coming in at 6:30. I had to stay an extra half hour. Ohhhhhhhhhhhh! more trouble in Nazi land! I'll be brought before the tribunal and tortured. Torture was handed out to me in droves when I had to try to deal with customers and no one was around to back up what I was doing and whether I was doing it right. Guess I should have paid more attention during my hour and forty five minute training session the other day. So what if I'm still missing 12 hours and 15 minutes. Sink or swim! So there I was, singing Christmas caroles to entertain the customers so that they wouldn't think I was totally inefficient. Finaly out of boredom they wandered away. It's terrible to stand there praying for no one to come up and bother you until the end of my shift. I can handle most things but they're still a few that get me panicked. Maybe I'll take up tap dancing and then I can really WOW them to cover my ignorance.

I'm working my way through a fantasy fiction book. I don't often read them but I read the first one a few years ago and enjoyed it and this is a sequel. Hopefully I'll finish by this weekend.

No comments: