Monday, February 9, 2009

Back to the grind




As much as I was looking forward to a day off, yesterday, I didn't get to enjoy it as much as I had hoped. Throw in a migraine and some other unmentionable issues and it wasn't a pleasant day. I did try to read which was my goal. I finished "Run for Your Life" by James Patterson and Micael Ledwidge. It is a new sequel that they started a book ago about Detective Michael Bennett. He's called in when a serial killer starts a rampage by first knocking a girl in front of a subway train, then changes clothes and moves on to a high end clothing store where he shoots a clerk, and on he goes. He keeps changing clothes and outmaneuvering the police leaving a trail of bodies behind. Bennett thinks he's discovered the identity of the killer only to find out that it isn't who he's been searching for. It's a great read as most of Patterson's books are. This cop character is interesting in that he and his wife who died a year ago, have adopted 10 children all under the age of 12 of different races and backgrounds. All through the novel you get a taste of his homelife and what it's like to be dealing with raising this bunch with the help of a nanny and his grandfather.

Back to work later today. Got the late shift for three nights running which isn't great but it's hours that I wouldn't have otherwise. Through some firings and medical issues we've lost quite a few employees and there's a hiring freeze which has put the parttimers into more hours. Okay by me. They took the night time girl off the "desk" where I am and put her in another department where they need help and the leaves me more hours where I'm supposed to be. Unfortunately these hours are spread out over many days without a break.

Took a couple hours this morning to visit my youngest first cousin at the local hospital. She was rushed there by helicopter a little over a week ago after she ran her car head long into a tree. No seat belt! She's not a small girl by any means and the impact left her with a compound fracture of her right thigh, broken left tibia, broken right ankle, broken right wrist, a large gash across her right palm and more broken ribs then they can count. Lungs were collapsed and she's been on a ventilator for 8 days until she decided to pull it out herself. Now she's breathing on her own and today they moved her out of ICU and into the next level of care. She has a long hard road to recovery but she's making progress. She's not from around here and neither is her immediate family so I'm the closest and now that the immediate family restrictions are off I can help take up the slack and visit more. She's the youngest sibling of my favorite Uncle who passed away 35 years ago. Visions of that day came roaring back to me as I made the drive to the hospital last week when I got the news.

No comments: