Sunday, March 22, 2009

Credit where credit is due

An event this week made me realize that we don't give our parents the credit they deserve sometimes. I had a rocky relationship with mine but that's not the point. They did instill in me a lot of what I am and, of course, a lot of what I am is because I didn't want to be like them. They gave me good manners. I can eat with my mouth closed, I don't pass gas in public, I treat people with respect (especially the elderly), and they instilled in me a background of belief in God from which stems my morales and values. I don't lie and cheat. I tried passing all these qualities down to my children. That's what we do as parents. Some of the bad things they did to me I passed down, too, unfortunately. I was beaten and therefore I spanked my kids when they "needed" it. I don't think I ever beat them. I think it was usually a "no" and if that didn't work then it was a smack on the hand or butt to keep them from touching things they shouldn't touch or going where they shouldn't go. It was acceptable and an expected form of punishment in the 70's. We know better now and I'm sorry we didn't then. Anyway, the event that brought this all back to me was receiving an email from my son. He's a new teacher for the inner city school system and his principal told him recently that he had a gift for teaching. That he could actually be a Master Teacher someday and that he was to tell me that I "done good instilling him with values and morals." The nice thing was......he did tell me and it made me feel so good. So in turn I need to thank my parents (no longer with us, but I feel they can still know) for instilling in me those same values and morals, oh, and for all those other good things listed above. I guess even the bad things helped make me what I am so I thank them for that, too. And, thanks, Son, for making an old Mom feel a little special.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

You did beat me! With wet rags and pipes and once you ran me over with the car.

But I deserved it.

And you always gave me a choice between a beating or 3 hours in the corner. A beating was easier to take.

fernie said...

You may get one now! Grandma always said you're never too old for a whipping.