Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Benchmark

My son turned 40 today. Well, officially not till 11:20 tonight. WOW! I'm blown away by this benchmark. I handle getting older fairly well but when your child hits an age like this it is a rude awakening. I can barely believe that I'm not still 40 and now I have a son that age. When I woke this morning I instantly thought of it and wanted to just roll over and cover my head and go back to sleep. Let's go back.........it's Mother's Day 1969 and I'm waiting for the birth of my first child. Back then we couldn't find out what sex you were having. All I had was my grandmother who swore up and down that I was carrying a girl since that was the shape the baby and my body had formed. Hands down! Of course, two years later she swore I was carrying a boy and I had a girl. Not a good track record for grandma. I didn't get to celebrate Mother's Day of 1969. It wasn't in the cards. In the very early hours of Tuesday morning (two days later) the twinges started and since I was quite a distance from the hospital that I was going to have him in we didn't waste time and rushed there. 22 and half hours later my bundle of joy was born! What a beautiful child. A full head of blond hair and so tiny! How could this precious child be mine! Thank you, Son, for bring such joy to my life!

No comments: