Wednesday, May 20, 2009

A wonderful book



I just finished another one of the books I found when browsing in the used book store with my son. I loved this book! "The Miracle Life of Edgar Mint" by Brady Udall. Young Edgar's head was run over by a mailman when he was seven years old and he miraculously survived. He died on the way to the hospital but the doctor brought him back and after many months in a coma, young Edgar wakes and is pretty much normal. Okay, so he can't write but that problem is solved by one of his caring roomates. Many people want to take care of Edgar except his drunken Mother and his elderly grandmother. Edgar's Mother is an Apache Indian and his Father was a drifter from the East that was playing cowboy when he fell for the pretty Indian girl. He didn't stick around to be a Father. After some very tear jerking experiences in an Indian school he is brought to Utah to live with a Mormon family. He is continually tracked by his former doctor/life saver who is now living life as a drug dealer and user. He can't stop his obsession with Edgar! You want to laugh and cry through this one.

I'm on a 9 day late shift with no break. This is 4 weeks of late shifts but this time it's 9 days in a row on my feet. Even my assistant manager asked me who I ticked off. I've discovered that with rewards on the job comes misery. Next time they want to give me an "Employee of the Month" award, I'm throwing up my hands and running out the door. And as far as helping the Schedule Coordinator when she wants another day off............

No comments: