Saturday, May 23, 2009

Happy Birthday Baby Girl

It's my daughter's 38th birthday today. She's out of town with her mother-in-law and others. It's an annual thing that takes her away from me on this special day which, selfishly, I had a part in. A call placed at midnight with her Dad and I singing the silly birthday song on her voicemail is all that I got as part of her day. Hopefully they remembered that it's her birthday and are giving her a special day.

My sadness also stems from the news that my "baby" brother is extremely ill and the prognosis is not looking good. A couple of nights ago he was complaining of pain in his feet and took some medication. Shortly thereafter he became belligerent with someone on the phone and then with his wife. Later started throwing things. Not having lived around him for many years, I'm told that this is not normal behavior for him. When I knew him as a younger person, I would say that it was. Anyway, he later complained of a severe pain in his head and his wife called the ambulance which took it's sweet time arriving. By then he was apparently in a coma and suffering seizures. He lives in Kentucky so he's lying in a hospital bed far away, still unconscious, and still seizing. The doctors are trying to rule out meds as the cause which will take some time yet. When getting the information second hand through family members (some of which are his young, emotionally drained sons) then it's uncertain as to what is real. Will he wake.........will he be functional if he does. His breathing was shallow so he's on a ventilator but was that breathing sufficient while the ambulance was taking the scenic route to get to him in an untimely fashion? Will that combined with at the seizures cause him brain damage. How do I find these things out while living here in Pennsylvania. When is the appropriate time for a sibling to show up and muscle in? I know my older brother would be by my side and in someone's face in a heart beat if it were me. I, in turn, would be there for him. He's alone! I'm not, but we have a bond that is closer than the one shared with this younger brother. Unfortunate, but it happens. Your standing in your family is earned and things have happened that caused this standing to be somewhat strained. I'm saddened and distressed at this time. I guess I knew this could happen when just a few short weeks ago he called from the hospital and said he was there because of fluid around his lungs. I mentioned to my hubby then that I was concerned that his health was so poor that his chances of a long life were greatly diminished. I pray for his recovery.

No comments: