Saturday, July 4, 2009

Finally a good page turner

First I'll start with a review of "My Sister's Keeper" (the movie) which I saw earlier today with my daughter and granddaughter. They both read the book at my prompting and together we went to see this movie with trepidation. We weren't sure of the casting and we knew that the end of the movie had been changed. Kudos to Alex Baldwin and the cast of fine young actors that played their parts extremely well even though those parts were shortened because of the movie version. I'm not a fan of Cameron Diaz and still don't know if she was the best for the part or not. Since I'm not crazy about her acting then I guess it's okay since I wasn't crazy about the character in the book. My daughter sobbed from early in the movie until the end. I joined her toward the later part. It definitely is a tear jerker and the ticket taker at the entrance warned us to have our tissues ready. Even knowing what to expect still couldn't keep the tears from welling up. I wish Alex Baldwin could have had a much longer part. I felt the trial was an important part of the book and it was downplayed in the movie.




Now, to the book de jour. James Patterson's "Swimsuit" just was excellent. It was co-authored by Maxine Paetro and I think there's more to her writing in this than Patterson's. It's just didn't ring true for his style. I could not put the book down. It's a serial killer "gone wild." A former cop turned author/journalist is thrown into covering the story and becomes the story. A must read!!

No comments: