Friday, July 10, 2009

Time marches on



I finished Tana French's "The Likeness." It took a couple chapters to get into it but then I really enjoyed it. Detective Cass Maddox has been called to a grisly crime scene and discovered the victim is her look alike. Not only does she have her face; she has her identity from her undercover days from several years ago. What better way to catch a murderer than to pretend the victim didn't die and that she's recovering and coming home soon. Home is a huge house that she shares with four other people. Best friends who are all students studying for their doctorates. Who killed "Lexie?" One of the friends or an outsider? Cass finds herself being drawn into this band of friends and taking on the victim's life. Apparently no one who lives in the house shares their past. It's off limits so "Lexie" fit right in since her past included many different identities. Cass has to assume her old name but in the process she has to try to become the person that the victim had made of that identity. Interesting twist.

Looking forward to a short day tomorrow. I've worked several long weeks and come Sunday I have 3 days off. A short week this week with only 28 hours. I was hoping to take a few days off the week of my 60th birthday which is quickly approaching but I couldn't get the time. Too many other employees requested that same time off. You'd think turning old would trump just wanting time off! I know there's a little party in the works. I was promised that it will be just immediate family, but can I trust those who are making the plans? Doubtful! I haven't been in the party mood lately.

No comments: