Monday, August 10, 2009

Tragedy on the roof top

I hired a co-worker to cut down some dead trees to prevent them from falling on our house. He said he had a lot of experience so we hired him to do the job. He cut us a deal on each tree and we set the day for Saturday. Hubby was here in the morning and early afternoon and I was due home just after he was leaving. The tree guy showed up at 8 and got to work. First tree came down okay and the second one went right on top our roof. What a mess. Two giant holes in the garage roof. The ridgevent is crushed, two trusses are splintered, the soffit is crushed, plaster on the inside of the garaged is crumbled, the lantern is bent, the garage doors are dented, and the rain spouting is ruined. I work with this guy so I could hardly come home and yell at him and tell him he was worthless. No matter how much I would have liked to do that. I was very kind and told him that "stuff" happens. Fortunately my son-in-law is a great builder and came to our rescue. He starts the reconstruction tomorrow evening with some help from my son. Our dread is that even though we have a bunch of shingles leftover from the original roofing job, they are new and the ones on the roof are 10 plus years old. Fading has taken place and it will be obvious. Sad day for Hubby and me!

No comments: