Thursday, September 17, 2009

Changes

I've been at the new job now for just slightly over a year. I interviewed last spring for the bookkeeping job because one of the regulars was having a baby. I was scheduled for the training and at the last minute it was given to someone else (who was pregnant and due this summer) because according to my supervisor, I was already trained for my current job and it didn't make sense to send me to bookkeeping to train and bring another girl to my job to train her. Just send the other girl to bookkeeping and keep me where I am. Fine! Human Resources stepped in and followed up on my request and a couple months ago I was told to take the computer training laid out for me and then I could get hands-on training in the "vault" for bookkeeping. I could be a backup or get extra hours by being trained in several areas. Fine, again! Training was like pulling teeth. I've had a total of 6 hours of hands-on training. Last week rumors went flying that there were all kinds of changes coming. Department heads being moved. My co-worker being sent to another department which means a vacancy on the "desk." Who will replace her? Why the girl who beat me out of the bookkeeping training ages ago. She's had her baby and is back. She's the one they didn't want to train for the desk while I went to bookkeeping training. The Assistant Manager let it slip the other week that I was going to bookkeeping, but I knew that. One night only and two days before my week's vacation. No other discussion. Could it be that I'm actually moving to this new job? Tonight is the night and I'm really not prepared. I got very little training but have been assured that I'll be okay. You need pass codes and keys if you're in this position. Nothing was said so I just waited. Yesterday, with no fanfare, I was given the code and keys and I'm thinking I just might be the new part time bookkeeper. Apparently one of the full time girls (she's a dead beat and doesn't show up a lot) is being transferred and now they are filling her slot with a part timer. Me? I'm waiting for confirmation of all this when I see the schedule due out today for the week after next when I return from vacation. Will I be off the "desk" and off my very painful feet? I wouldn't mind doing both jobs but when on the desk I have a "till" which relates to money and money comes from the vault which relates to a conflict if I'm working there. Can't have a till the day before or the day of working in the vault. Limits my availability.

Headed out on Saturday for vacation. We haven't made any definite plans. Just thinking of heading up the New England coast. Hubby got it in his head after reading an article in a magazine that we need to go to Cambridge, MA and check out the 30 bookstores located there. He apparently is either going to torture me by taking me there and letting me just gawk in penniless frustration or he's won the lottery and has been waiting to spring it on me when we get there. I need to jot down a few titles before leaving so I'm prepared and also print out my list of books I own so I don't buy more of the same. Of course I could just take my laptop and hope they have the internet available but then my hands would be full of computer and less room for books.

I'm in the middle of Clive Cussler's new novel and Dan Brown's is due in the mail (hoping it gets here before I leave so I can take it with me) anyday. I pre-ordered it months ago or I could have just bought it in Cambridge. Anyway, it's on my schedule to read next so I hope it gets here in time.

No comments: