Tuesday, February 16, 2010

After the blizzards

The world of white still surrounds us. It was thought that we would get more snow yesterday but it didn't amount to much more than some icing that will cut down on the drifting that is still happening across some fields and roads. Our driveway is still treacherous and I have to back into it in case I have to leave before my hubby and there is no where to turn around. Just can't push the snow anywhere anymore. Still so much more beautiful than the ugly gray and brown that would be sitting out there waiting to depress me. This is the worst time of year to get through.

A new job popped up at work recently and for the heck of it, I applied. It's an Associate Support Department Supervisor position. It's basically what the scheduler does by a higher level. The scheduler is in line to get it and everyone knows that. She's got the experience and I only had a couple of days of training in her position when she wanted to take some time off. Haven't done it in a while but still have my notes. I figured they would need three candidates to interview so they could make their choice which we all know was already made. This job is straight lined to the District Manager and the Store Manager. Well, I was interviewed by the Assistant Manager that just came on board within the last 6 months. I've been interviewed before and expected the same routine questions. Well, not this time. I had 9 "what ifs" and a role play. I through some past experience into the mix from when I worked in corporate America and apparently I made a little impression. Got a call from the Store Manager a few days ago stating that it was between the current scheduler and myself and that I was to have a second interview with an HR rep at one of our other locations an hour away. That takes place tomorrow. It was mentioned that if I was willing to go to another location to work that there was a pretty good chance that I'd get the same job at that location. I'd hate to move but I'm very familiar with the other location since I used to work in real estate in that town and lived 40 years ago in a town close by. I mentioned to the other Assistant Manager that hired me that I had a second interview and she said "Yea, you're going to the other location. They asked for you there." I can't imagine anyone from there asking for me since very few know me there and I would be the outsider. They already have a scheduler there and probably don't need an assoc. support dept. head. Hmmmmmmmmmm! Well, we'll find out tomorrow when I have the second interview. It's good practice and what the heck! I started full time yesterday so I still have that. It would be good to get away from the pettiness of the group I work with and move into a position that would eliminate a lot of that. There would also be a desk, chair, office, and regular hours in this position that would be a much welcomed change.

Seems every book I've picked out to read this year is a rather long one so it's taking me longer to get through them. Plus with these much longer hours, I'm losing valuable reading time.

No comments: