Saturday, July 10, 2010

Fall down; go boom

I fell in the driveway again! It's my way of doing bone density tests. Unfortunately, this time I failed the test. Knowing that I was going down, I did a little jig to try to correct for it and my ankle rolled and I felt the snap. My hubby had just gone in the house and there I sat. I knew better than to try to move and I was certain it was broken. Just sit patiently and eventually he will realize I'm taking a long time to come back in out of the 100+ degree heat. Just praying he didn't go in and sit down and fall asleep which he does quickly. I sat there for at least 20 minutes and then I heard the door open and out he came. I yelled to him to bring the car so he backed it up and I butt walked off the driveway so I could be in line with the passenger door. Off to the ER! Xray confirmed that I had a nice clean break at the ankle but they needed to hear from the bone guy and that took a while. Finally they said I had to rush to the bone guy's office to get a cast so I was loaded back in the car and off we went. Hubby brought crutches but without a cast I couldn't use them to well. Putting my foot down at all would have been a bad thing. A wheel chair was found and I was put in a room where a nurse put my cast on. Doctor showed up to confirm it was broken and inspect her job. No work until after he sees and re-xrays me again on Monday. Keep the foot elevated for 72 hours. Put ice on it........ok, that's just plain stupid when there's a cast that prevents the cold from getting to the swelling. Hubby was with me for two days and then had to go to work. I've been alone now for two days and it's difficult getting up and down and trying to get a drink or food. It's lonely! Kids are busy with their lives so here I sit. Oh well!

Read Sharyn McCrumb's "The Devil Amongst The Lawyers." I wasn't too crazy about it. Murder took place in 1935 and daughter of the victim was arrested for it. Newspaper reporters flocked to Virginia to cover the trial but wanted nothing more than to make the locals look like hillybillies and the defendant look like the innocent damsel. The characters' stories kept getting in the way of the main story line and it got rather confusing.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I recently fell and got a cast and my wife is a nurse and said even though the cast is thick the ice still goes through and helps with the swelling. How are you feeling? What color cast did you get?

fernie said...

I got a lovely purple! The pain is still bad but managed with tylenol. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

i never knew a cast could be lovely,lol. Sorry to hear about the pain and feel free to email me.