Thursday, December 16, 2010

The worst

I've read some rotten books in my time but William Faulkner's "As I Lay Dying" was the pits. I pulled it off my shelf figuring I'd get some more of my classic author's read and I sure hope he wrote better than this or I don't see why his works are still around. You take a southern family and Mom is dying and one of the sons is building her casket in the yard outside her window and two of the others are off trying to earn a couple of bucks even though poor old Mom will probably be dead till they get back and Mom's asked Dad to drag her body back to where she was from so there the adventures starts. I know that was a run on sentence but the whole book was a run on book. From what I gather they drag her body on what should have been a two day trip but because there's been flooding and bridges are out, she ends up spending 9 days in the July heat on the road with her family watching over her. Buzzards are following! Sad to say that this book was apparently rewritten because Faulkner's original had so many typos and other problems. They shouldn't have bothered.

1 comment:

Geoff said...

One of my all-time favorites!