Monday, October 31, 2011

#80

I was into John Grisham's latest novel when I unfortunately left it at work on Saturday. We were having a freak snow storm that left us buried in tree branches and no power. We had 8 inches of wet and heavy snow that clung to the leaf ladened trees and made a royal mess of everything. Beautiful? Yes. A nightmare? YES! We have not had power, water, or heat now for 3 days and there's no end in sight. We've been staying up during the night feeding wood to the fireplace and each of us is sleeping on a sofa as close to the fireplace as we can get. Today we let the fire go out for the first time and headed for a real meal and then to a shower at my daughter's house. It was nice and warm and comfy but we're back home now and the fire is going again and we're trying to get the chill out before night. I missed work yesterday and had the day off today but I must go back tomorrow for the late shift.

Anyway, I picked up one of my books from either NYC or the Border's closing and it was "Remarkable Creatures" by Tracy Chevalier. Very informative and historically correct. There really were such characters as Elizabeth Philpot and Mary Anning and they were important in the discovery of fossils and skeletal remains of creatures that had yet been unknown. Found along the beaches of Lyme, England these women joined forces to become some of the leaders in their field even though as women they could not get the recognition of their discoveries at the time. Great read! Back to Grisham tomorrow when I get back to work and retrieve him from my locker.

No comments: