Tuesday, November 6, 2007

Day Whatever

All the agents in our office were called in to discuss our "futures." Our benefits for being there are being drastically cut since the sales are so off they have to cut corner where they can. We were worried that the owner was going too far with his ideas. Later yesterday we heard that most of the staff have been laid off. Definitely not a good sign. I think we'll see a major cut in the amount of agents in the office by the end of the month. I need to get my resume updated.

I'm struggling to read "Book of the Dead" by Patricia Cornwell. It's so hard to believe that someone who wrote such wonderful books that I couldn't put down would end her career with such loser books. The last 3 or 4 have been just barely readable. I keep hoping she'll get better so I keep buying them since I'm rather addicted to her characters and want to see what happens to them. She's changed them, too. Poor Marino went from being a fat detective to a body building, head shaved, biker guy working for Scarpetta in the private sector! I think that was one of the problems. She took Scarpetta out of the coroner's office in VA where she was a big deal and put her in a different setting that just doesn't suit the character. I will finish this book even though I've said I don't waste time on bad books because of the characters but I don't know how much more her former fans will tolerate. Patricia knows that when she writes about something other than these characters that she doesn't sell so she's stuck with writing about them. How long can she keep the main characters interesting when they're pushing 60? Maybe she just can't compete with Kathy Reichs who is really what she writes about.

Trying, also, to fit in some stained glass projects for an upcoming holiday sale. I'm just doing ornaments since I've learned that people don't want to pay for the big items. You spend a fortune on glass and your time is valuable but people don't realize what is involved in making a piece. I spent $11 for just one sheet of red glass. I know I'm not going to make a living or even subsidize my income with these items so they will just be gifts or projects for family and friends.

The trip to Canada was postponed since I haven't heard from the family members who were going. It will be too late now to go since snow is already falling in that area. I hate to wait and hope all will still be well in the Spring. The Aunt we were going to visit is hitting her mid 80's. The family isn't known for longevity.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

You've been saying for ten years that Patricia Cornwell is no good anymore, but you keep buying them. I stopped reading Stephen King after Tommyknockers because he was just phoning it in. I have only read one since, called "Desperation," and it was terrible.

fernie said...

I really keep hoping she'll get good again because of the characters. It hasn't been 10 years but probably 5 since she went in the dumper. Stephen King went down after his accident. I tried two after that and both were left half finished.