Wednesday, November 14, 2007

One of my favorites is hopeless

Very seldom does it take me a full week to read a book! I usually have polished off 3 or more by now. I struggled through the "Book of the Dead" by Patricia Cornwell and it was brutal. Never has she been more disjointed and confusing in her writing. Not only has she destroyed her characters but now she's finishing them off. She has a reason for it though...it will keep her readers curious as to what happened to one of the main characters at the end of this book. They'll by her next book just to find out. I was thoroughly confused through most of the book. I guess if I had just finished her last two or three books instead of reading them years ago, I would have remembered the Dr. Self character better. Suddenly she was a major player and I couldn't remember why. I hope this latest novel is like childbirth and I can forget the pain by the time she writes again.

I've also been very busy making Christmas ornaments for the event at my daughter-in-law's house in December. It's to be a pre-shopping event with several people displaying their craft for sale. I was trying to do mostly stained glass but I just don't like the patterns I have and after about 15 pieces I gave up and picked up a crochet hook and am making Victorian ornaments. It won't matter that I spent 4 or 5 hours on each ornament. People will only want to pay a buck or two for them. That doesn't even cover the material. If you're reading this and are family or friend, expect an ornament for Christmas!

A week till Thanksgiving! Wow! I haven't done anything but order an 8 legged turkey! Never enough dark meat for my family so we have to improvise. There has to be a big run to the grocery store for potatoes. I usually need two carts to carry the amount I need. That's the main focus of the day. I could just serve that and I think they'd die happy. I talked to our son in Hawaii two nights ago and he was amazed that we were having the meal without him and wondered how it would taste if mailed to him by express mail. We've already discovered that overnight to Hawaii is impossible so I think everything would be rather green and fuzzy by the time it got there in 5 days or so. His loss! I'm trying to figure how many we'll be feeding this year. I think I'm still hanging in there with 18. Could be a few less but I never know.

I ordered a book from a company called "Books on Demand" which deals in old books. It was a family tree but unfortunately was not the family I was hoping for. I contacted them that I was returning the book and was given a pre-printed label to use which I printed out. Sent it insured to Georgia and got it back yesterday marked "vacant." I emailed and was ignored so I'm assuming that company has folded up and left the area. They were dealing through Alibris books online. Hope they practice what they preach and guarantee all books. They're going to lose some big money on this vendor. First I'm headed to the post office since the book came back with the packaging shredded and the pages of the book damaged from their inadequate handling. Good thing it was insured. Wonder how long it will take to get satisfaction.

No comments: