Monday, November 26, 2007

Looking for work!

I'm on page 659 of the 1013 page novel by Ken Follett. It's wonderful! Hard to put down now that I have a little more time to enjoy it.

Got the news this morning that our real estate office is closing by the end of the year. The owner just doesn't want to do residential sales anymore so he's going back to just commercial. He admitted that he didn't know enough about residential and basically bit off more than he could chew. He had built his agency up to 35 agents from just a couple when we joined him and now there are 35 agents faced with finding a new place to go just before the holidays and at the worst time to go shopping for a new office with the market the way it is. All the agencies are in trouble, I'm sure. I was lucky to get three calls today when the word got out about the closing. I can go back to the office I used to work in or go to another new company and see what they offer. I like small offices so we'll see what they have to say. Tomorrow will be interview day! I had been saying all along that if I left the current office it would be for some other kind of job but I'm trapped in the necessity to help out a former client sell her house and also, to get a new client through their purchase of a new home.

The hubby and I went south to Maryland at noon to meet some old cronies from our days in corporate America. It was a gathering of "his" old office workers and since I was in the same corporation and knew them all I got to tag along. It was a very enjoyable event. Felt like a family reunion! When I was hired I started in his office and that's where I met him. After not quite a year I transferred to another department but still knew the people he worked with. The gathering was in honor of his old boss (first and only female boss) who was visiting the area from Texas. She was wonderful when I was stricken with needing an emergency surgery almost 21 years ago and hubby was in Greece on business. She brought him home and went over to Greece in his place. Even though she wasn't prepared for what she faced there and needed his full support which kept him late at the office faxing her information, at least he was back home and not there. It was amazing how many people had passed away from the original group. Of course it was 16 years ago that we left the corporation. These were people who were there at the beginning of "our romance" and marriage. They couldn't believe that we're together now for 30 years.

Back to the book!!

No comments: