Tuesday, February 19, 2008

A High Wind in Jamaica

This book was written by Richard Hughes in 1929. It's time frame is the late 1800's and setting in the early part of the book is the island of Jamaica. The main characters are the Bas-Thorton children of English parents. Life on the island is carefree for the children. Then came the earthquake. Later that night their house is destroyed by a hurricane. The parents decide that maybe it's best to send their children back to England for an education so off they go without the parents. The landing in England is a long time coming and full of adventure. The children's lives are changed forever. Can't give away too much. An interesting and quick read.

On my own today! Husband went to work and life was rather lonely. If I don't plan ahead then I can't even get a cereal bowl on my own. It was wonderful having my family in attendance after the surgery. I have promised my husband though, that I won't do this on a regular basis just to get attention from my kids.

2 comments:

Geoff said...

With blogging and email, nobody ever has to visit anyone.

I'm glad you liked that book. I think you bought it through my recommendation when you were "under the weather"! I thought it was strange and interesting and sometimes funny.

fernie said...

I seem to remember that I must have seen the book on your blog. Or at least his other two that I also have. Reading the Michael Jecks book now. So far so good. Hard to keep all the characters straight.