Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Two weeks later

I'm two weeks after surgery tomorrow. That's suppose to be when I can drive, ride, or whatever in a car. Of course I don't have the doctor's okay until the 7th since I couldn't get an appointment this week. The doctor went on vacation this week. I'm feeling good enough to risk some trips out and about. I won't drive, but I'm gonna ride!

The neck scare is not as gross as it's been. The glue or plastic covering is coming off and things are looking better. With time it should blend nicely into the wrinkle that's formed around my neck.

No new books have been read. I did the proof reading for my cousin's family history that she wrote. It's almost 400 pages so it took a while. It was interesting to get the information that I haven't been able to track down on some of the branches. In all the names of all the people who have contributed to who I am, there's only one that I've found is original in spelling to what it was back in the 1600's. "Miller." Even the Smith's were changed from Schmidt. Some spellings are so far removed that they aren't even recognizable to what are used today. Guess when you get off a boat back in the 1700's and speak only German and can't write your name at all, you get what they think it sounds like. Your "V's" become "W's." Your "K's" become "C's." One relative in this book was accused of murder but was proven not guilty. Self defense was the ruling! The story definitely puts him and his sons down as far as being the dimmest bulbs in the box. A murderer and an idiot! Great! I have a great aunt who was the victim of an attempted murder. She was just 16 and spurned her former boyfriend. He decided to shoot her in the head and then kill himself. She took 3 head shots and walked away and he shot himself once. He followed her to her uncle's house and collapsed and later died. She cleaned up her own wounds and the next day was taken to the closest hospital by train, to get the bullets removed. I'm the one who found this information in old newspapers in my search and my cousin included it in the history. Nobody in the family ever mentioned it. It's amazing what we don't know and can no longer find out.

I'm reading "The Masque of the Black Tulip" by Lauren Willig. I've read her before and since then she's written 3 more books that are sequels. Fortunately I found it out before reading them out of sequence.

Spent the day yesterday with a new friend. She dropped by and brought knitting and quilting books for me to check out. I had lots of knitting and crocheting books of my own for her to peruse. Lots of laughter and some knitting and food made for a fun healing day. We're taking a road trip on Friday!

No comments: