Friday, April 4, 2008

Bad Mommy

I always thought I did a pretty good job of raising my children. They're successful and other than a few glitches along the way, I was pretty much living in my little bubble in ignorance. I remember hearing a friend's kids confess to them that when they were 15 they took the family car and their younger siblings and drove 40 miles to a rock concert. No driver's license and a sister and brother younger than themselves in the vehicle with her. I could see the parents' faces drain of color when they thought of what could have happened; even though it didn't. I was positive then that I never wanted to hear that kind of story about my own children. Ignorance is bliss! I don't want to know that they are less than perfect which I take personnally as a reflection on my parenting skills. Please warn me if I'm going to hear something like that so I can stick my fingers in my ears and sing at the top of my lungs. Or maybe just not read what I shouldn't. I guess my folks did a pretty good job scaring me into being a pretty upright citizen. I never got the reward of being told they were proud of me but I have the knowledge that I have few regrets.

There's a reunion of former co-workers coming up next weekend. The corporation is gone now for some time but the friendships are missed. They've tried a few reunions over the years which haven't been very successful but they're trying again and we're going to see if a few might show up. The embarrassment starts when you no longer recognize people or remember their names. It's been 16 years for us since we've seen some of them. Hope there's a big turnout!

No comments: