Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Old Novel

Once in a while I review my list of books that I've read and come across an author from the 70's or 80's that I enjoyed and I try to find other books by that author. I turn to a couple of old book dealers that I know and have used in the past to track them down. I recently got a copy of Michael Korda's "The Fortune." He's still writing but mainly historic novels such as his recent one "Ike." I got it for my hubby and he loved it. Said it was the best book he's ever read. I read "The Fortune" which was written in the 80's. Good read! Main character is Alexa and she's working for an art gallery owner in New York City. She's from a small town in Illinois. At a gallery event she meets the richest man in the country who is 40 years her senior. I thought it was funny that to be the richest man in the world in the 80's you barely needed half a billion to a billion. Anyway, they met and "hooked up." His children were not aware of his new love interest and he wasn't anxious to reveal it. He was already estranged from them. Months into their relationship he talks her into marriage but with the stipulation that it is to be kept secret until he can make the necessary changes he needs. Unknown to her he had written a new will giving her his estate. You guessed it! He dies on their wedding night from a heart attack and she's got to deal with the changes he's made to the will and with his family who had no idea she even existed; let alone married their father. Secrets are revealed and the fight is on. This would have been a good 80's miniseries.

Got a contract on my last listing. I've had this one for quite a while but it hasn't had much activity. Fortunately it's finally happened so now everything is wrapped up and under contract so if I decided to bail from this job, this is the time to do it. With luck it will be all settled by June 30th. The major settlement to get through is my daughter's. The sooner the better since they're moving into their new house in just over a week.

No comments: