Friday, April 18, 2008

Finally finished

I finished "The Little House" by Philippa Gregory. It's not that it wasn't a good book; it just took me a while to get into it. The main character is a young woman who lost her parents in a car accident in her early years and was sent to England to live with her Aunt who didn't want her and never treated her with care. She married a man who was spoiled rotten by his parents and thought the world should revolve around him. His parents still treated him that way and it was difficult for the wife to have her own life. Their "flat" was owned by the parents and it was decided that they would sell it and that the young couple should move into the cottage at the end of the parents' lane which they also owned. The wife wanted to continue her career which was the only thing that she felt confident with. Unfortunately that ended with a layoff and off she went to live in the cottage. A unwanted pregnancy was forced on her and she delivered and suffered extreme postpartum depression. Instead of support for herself she found herself locked up in a mental facility and her child and husband living with the in-laws. Her struggle to come back and take over her life was difficult but I did love the ending! Totally unexpected!

Off to visit my elderly cousins today to see if they can shed more light on the family search. One is 99 so I'm really looking forward to meeting her. Most of these cousins are on my Mom's side and they can't understand the connection to my Father's side. ME! Duh! I hope they have a lead to someone in the Kansas connection of the family that can lead me to a good copy of the family history that I found on line. The pictures are just horrible from being copied and I want to get better ones for the Family Album. I had to promise lunch to get them to meet me! Feed them and they'll come.

No comments: