Tuesday, May 20, 2008

Careless in Red

There aren't too many murder mysteries that I can't figure out "who dunnit" well before the end but this one kept me guessing right to the near end. Elizabeth George writes a series of novels featuring Detective Lynley and his sidekick Barbara Havers. A couple books back she killed off Detective Lynley's wife and unborn child and in this book he's wandering the cliffs of England trying to get his life back on track. With nothing more than a sleeping bag, he has headed out on the paths along the sea. Unkempt and unbathed this now former detective comes across a dead body. Since he's first on the scene he reports it and becomes a suspect. Once he can prove who he is he is roped into helping solve the case. The body is that of a young adventure seeker who was "climbing" alone at the time of his fall to death. It was discovered that his gear had been tampered with and now it's a murder case. Everyone is a suspect in the small town. Even when the killer is discovered he has set up the murder in such a way that it can't be proved. I was glad to see that Detective Lynley is back on track and hopefully there will be more books about him in the future.

Our last oil painting class is tonight. I left a little to be done on the "rooster" that I'm painting and I have a landscape that needs a few more details added. Hubby is hard at work on his lighthouse. Looking good! I don't know if I'd take another course from this instructor. I was hoping for a little more guidance and structure. Like here's an apple, banana, and orange and this is how you paint it. His version is bring in a picture of something and paint it. This guy wanders the classroom giving a few minutes to the eleven of us so that at the end of the evening we've had maybe 5 minutes of one on one time. I took a finished (I thought) piece to him and he told me it was floating and needed to be grounded. What? Apparently adding a little shadowing makes something grounded. I might look around for a more advanced class to see if I have any talent or if I just like to waste paint and canvases.

We've gotten things straightened out for my daughter's settlement tomorrow. No survey was needed once I pulled in the original title company that had done their last settlement on the old house. Apparently when there's a railroad running behind you house that's considered an natural boundary and therefore whether the deed is wrong or not you can't go further than the natural boundary. The current title company should have known that and allowed for it and we would have settled already.
I feel the old title company should have corrected it and we wouldn't have had to endure this current mess. Keeping fingers crossed for tomorrow!

The best comedy on television right now has to be "The Big Bang Theory." There isn't a better group of actors with better timing anywhere. It's season finale was last night but here's hoping that they keep running reruns all summer. Monday nights at 8:00 on CBS!

No comments: