Friday, July 25, 2008

Sad

When you pick up a book and on the cover you see a warning label "this book could break your heart" then you deserve what you get. It's a novel by Charles Martin called "Where the River Ends." You knew from the first chapter that it was not going to end on a happy note. The wife is dying of cancer. Started with aggressive breast cancer and ended in her brain. The story weaves back and forth from the couple's meeting to the current day and the wife's "wish list." I thought that Nicholas Sparks was the only male romantic writer out there but this guy is edging past him quickly. He wrote this novel in such a believable fashion that you think it must have really happened to him. If you want a tear jerking wonderful read then this is the book to do it.

To add to my sadness is the fact that this is the last day I can say I'm 58. Yes, tomorrow is the birthday that no one will ever believe so I might as well jump right to saying 60. I received a beautiful bouquet of flowers from the son and daughter-in-law that are in Hawaii. I so miss his cute face! Usually this time of year we are on a boat on a large lake catching fish (or hoping to do so). I've been spoiled by the fact that I have had a captive audience for my birthday for over 10 years. Guaranteed birthday parties! I have also been blessed to have that time with my brother who traveled with us and has a birthday just two days after mine (he's sooooo much older than me). I'm missing those fishing trips that brought us all together and hope that they haven't ended. Our 30th anniversary is in a week and my hubby has asked what I'd like. To be back in Canada or New York State fishing with the gang!

No comments: