Saturday, January 24, 2009

Finally




I finally finished "The Fountain Overflows" by Rebecca West. I've been working a lot of hours so I blamed that as the reason it took so long but I think the real reason is that it was a slow read. Written in the 1950's but set at the turn of the 20th century (I think). The characters are the Aubrey family as told by the daughter, Rose. The father is a writer but is rather unstable and always changing jobs and gambling away the money on stock market schemes. The mother is a former concert pianist who struggles to keep the family afloat. She, too, is rather eccentric and high strung. The four children are very different. The oldest daughter thinks she's a talented violinist, the twin girls are both very talented pianist and the youngest son has no particular talent but is everyone's favorite. Unusual people wander through their lives even a murderess. I found the book to be entertaining but difficult to read. There were points that I almost threw it down in despair and frustration.

No comments: